Sunday, December 9, 2007

Getting Cold and Getting Strong

Freezing is more like it! The past couple of years have pampered us here in the north country with little snow and mild temps before Christmas, however this year mother nature is reminding us Minnesotans where we live. I ran 8 miles yesterday starting at sunset with the temperature at about zero and ending around -3, felt good during the run and was plenty warm.

Currently I am working on building a good base of easier miles as I work to increase my mileage during the cold days ahead. I have been running a lot of miles inside on the treadmill while incorporating strength training with weights. From here out I will run three easy days (Mon., Wed., Fri.) inside while strength training and my longer runs (Tues., Thur., Sat.) outside on the road.

I am really focusing right now on just increasing my mileage at a comfortable pace, hoping to get a heart rate monitor for X-Mas (greedy) so after the new year I can start running with an idea of how hard I am working.

My goals are set to start training for Grandma's Marathon on March 4th this coming year.
Time to redeem myself!

No comments: