Thursday, December 27, 2007

My Christmas Gift

A good gift for a runner, and it's the only thing I asked for, a Heart Rate Monitor! So today I took it out on a run for the first time. My high and low limits were set at 124-162, which sounds right for my age. My AVERAGE heart rate was 169 bpm. That's crazy! For how long and the amount of running I do, I hope this is wrong or I need to see the doctor. Last night my resting heart rate was 52 bpm which is pretty low, so there is a wide margin to account for. I will keep playing with it and hopefully be on a better path.


6mi @ 8:07 pace. 169 HR

1 comment:

Cyberpenguin said...

That's a great gift! I'm sure once you play with your heart monitor a bit, you'll figure out what's going on with the higher-than-expected numbers. Hopefully, it's nothing more than having to make adjustments to the HRM.

I don't always take my gadgets too seriously or literally, as there tends to be some fluctation & a margin for error. For example: My car's GPS doesn't always calculate the best route. And my body fat scale isn't always the most accurate either; a water emersion test (i.e., putting one's body in a calibrated measuring tank) would issue a much more accurate number.

Here's an idea: If you're still concerned about it, you could have a doctor or professional fitness expert measure your heart rate & also get a VO2 Max reading. You might be able to get one of these at a health or fitness fair, or at your local gym. Just an idea.

Happy Holidays & keep up the great work with your training!
-C